Hi my name is Akhil Mehra and I am the founder of “A Bias For Action”. I live in Auckland, New Zealand with my lovely wife. I was born in Mumbai, India but moved to Auckland to pursue a Masters in Computer Science at the University of Auckland. I loved Auckland so much that I decided to stay and have ever since called Auckland home.
I have a number of interests and passions some of which are listed below:
- Programming – I am passionate about programming and backend related technologies. I am constantly experimenting with the latest tech and trying to understand the value the technology provides. I am not keen on technology for the sake of technology.
- Writing clean code and test driven development – I am a big fan of Test Driven Development and I
believeknow that it leads to modular code and in general better design.
- Teaching and learning from others – If you want to learn something, the best way is to be taught by an expert. But to become an expert you need to teach. One does not become an expert and then teaches, one becomes an expert because one teaches. Teaching is hard and requires a lot of effort but the rewards are worth it.
- Making a difference in peoples life – There is no greater thrill than making a positive difference in someone else’s life.
- Sports – I love sports and sports have been an important part of my life ever since I can remember. I have a black belt in Shotokan Karate but have not actively practiced for a while due to knee issues. I play a number of sports socially including but not limited to tennis, table tennis, cricket and golf.
- Public Speaking – Although public speaking terrifies me I do get a great thrill from delivering a successful speech. I got over my fear of speaking via Toastmaster’s and highly recommend it to everyone especially developers.
- Entrepreneurship – Currently a wantrepreneur i.e. someone who wants to be an entrepreneur but is not quite there yet. This blog is my first step towards transforming from a wantrepreneur to an entrepreneur.
Why “A Bias For Action”
I often get asked why the name “A Bias For Action”. I believe that to achieve any goal you need to take action. Taking action is easier said than done. The biggest obstacle is often oneself and one’s fear of failure or the unknown. I do believe learning by doing is the best way to cement any kind of knowledge. Don’t get me wrong, the theoretical side of things are important but knowledge only gets cemented when one actually practices and applies the theoretical knowledge.